COMMUNICABLE DISEASE: Kennel Cough is a common concern for dogs who frequent dog parks, boarding, doggie daycare, and grooming facilities. Upper Respiratory Infections caused by Mycoplasma are often referred to as Kennel Cough and are not the same as Kennel Cough caused by Bordetella. You protect your dogs against Bordetella through vaccination, however, there is no vaccine available for Mycoplasma based infections.
Mycoplasma is a microorganism that occurs naturally in the environment and prospers in wet conditions. Mycoplasma can be shared between dogs via nose-to-nose contact, shared water/food dishes, shared toys, and breathing in "contaminated" air. Symptoms generally become evident approximately 7 to 10 days after exposure. The most obvious symptom is a very deep "croup" type of cough and possible fever. If your pet displays these symptoms, please consult your veterinarian and keep your pet isolated at home.
THERE IS VERY LITTLE WE CAN DO TO PROTECT YOUR PETS AGAINST ASPIRATED OR AIRBORNE MICROORGANISMS. HOWEVER, WE CLEAN AND DISINFECT ALL TOUCHABLE SURFACES TO ENSURE WE KILL ANY LURKING MICROORGANISMS!
IN ORDER TO PROTECT ALL VISITORS AS BEST WE CAN, WE ASK THAT IF YOUR PET SHOULD EVER BE DIAGNOSED WITH AN UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION, THAT YOU DO NOT VISIT OUR FACILITY UNTIL THE ANTIBIOTICS (IF PRESCRIBED) ARE COMPLETE, YOUR PET IS NO LONGER COUGHING, AND AN ADDITIONAL CALENDAR WEEK HAS PASSED.
Vaccinations For Grooming, Doggie Daycare & Training:
- Dogs must be current on their Rabies and Distemper Combo vaccinations.
- The Bordetella (Kennel Cough) vaccination is STRONGLY recommended for grooming. It is REQUIRED in order to attend daycare and training classes.
- Fecal Testing is REQUIRED annually for Dogs attending daycare and training. They must test negative for parasites. In rare situations, FAF may require more frequent fecal testing if we become aware that any dogs visiting our facility have tested positive for parasites.
- Cats must be current on their Rabies and Distemper Combo vaccinations.
- We STRONGLY advise all pets be treated with a flea/tick preventative.
Also, any series of these vaccinations must be complete for at least one week prior to visiting our establishment if the prior vaccinations were allow to expire. We also require your pet to be treated with a flea/tick preventative.
We will not accept pets who have never been vaccinated, house bound or not. This is for the safety of all visiting pets and our staff. We will, however, accept Titer testing for pets who can no longer be vaccinated due to being immune suppressed. If you choose not to Titer test, we do require veterinary certification for pets who can no longer be vaccinated due to health issues.
All ages and breeds of dogs and cats are welcome for grooming. Other pets maybe accepted with consultation.
For Doggie Daycare:
- Your dog must be current on all vaccinations cited above.
- For your pet's safety, we require puppies to be a minimum of 8-weeks old, and senior dogs must be no older than 11 years of age. We may waive the senior dog age requirement as every senior dog ages differently.
- Your dog must be spayed or neutered if 8 months of age or older - no exceptions.
- Your dog should not have a history of seizures, Gastric Torsion ("Bloat"), exercise induced collapse, stitches, bandages or restrictions on activity.
- Your dog must be sturdy enough to play with dogs of all sizes.
Your dog must not be aggressive towards dogs or people. This rule extends to food, treats and/or toys. If your pet is not able to play well with others or has been "expelled" from another kennel or daycare facility, please inform us of this in advance. We may or may not be able to work with your pets' needs.
Bully breeds or any mix of these breeds will most likely not be accepted in daycare due to their play styles. We love and appreciate these breeds but they just tend to play too aggressively for other breeds and create a greater risk of injury for all involved. ALL BREEDS are welcome for grooming and training!
Due to the square footage of our daycare room, we are very selective of the dogs we approve to play. All dogs who attend daycare at our facility must be able to accept breeds of all sizes.
Feel free to have your Vet Clinic fax proof of health & vaccinations to FAX: (507) 388-5741